Media and Communications Officer | Balonne Shire Council | St George, Qld
An exciting opportunity for a creative and energetic Media and Communications Officer who is passionate about writing and bringing newsworthy stories to life!
Download the Candidate Information Pack for this role. Click Apply Now to submit your application.
Your key focus will be developing, editing and distributing media, communications and promotional materials for print, digital and social media platforms. You will also be the central point for media activity which includes preparing content and coordinating council spokespeople for radio, television and print media interviews.
- Write and publish timely relevant information, communication and messages and proactively create new opportunities to inform, consult and engage local communities.
- Prepare media statements and develop media contacts across the relevant media landscape to promote news coverage of council and its activities.
- Develop social media campaigns and report on campaign insights to improve the channel/campaign performance.
- Review, implement and maintain Council's corporate communications and community engagement policies and strategies to ensure a consistent approach across the organisation.
Experience and qualifications required:
- Tertiary qualifications in communication, public relations, marketing or related field
- Minimum two (2) years' relevant professional experience, in similar positions
- Sound knowledge of current and emerging social media technology, trends, risks and opportunities and how these apply to a corporate environment.
- Exceptional writing and researching skills
- Well organised with a proven ability to manage multiple projects, deadlines and competing priorities.
This is a great opportunity to make this role your own, with plenty of scope managing media relations, coordinating campaigns, storytelling and contributing to the community you live in. So, if you think this sounds like you - apply now!
Living and working in the Region
Located just five hours' drive west of Brisbane on the QLD-NSW border, Balonne Shire Council has a dedicated team of 80+ staff and population of 4,500 people who live in the surrounding towns of St George, Thallon, Dirranbandi, Bollon, Nindigully, Mungindi and Hebel.
Proud of its arts and culture, Balonne Shire Council promotes sustainable communities and healthy lifestyles. Council also offer competitive remuneration and enviable work/life balance. It's time to swap the long commutes and traffic jams for a tree change in a vibrant community.
How to Apply
Apply with a covering letter addressing the Position section of the information pack. Closing date for applications is 5pm on Monday 16 March 2020.