Manager - Water and Wastewater
Burdekin Shire Council | Ayr, Qld
- Play an integral part in the development of world first technical projects in water and sewerage treatment.
- Contribute to the long-term strategy of water and wastewater services for the Burdekin Region
The Manager Water and Wastewater leads a team of five technical specialists who are responsible for the safe delivery of reliable water and wastewater services including all wastewater construction, operational and maintenance activities provided by Burdekin Shire Council.
With a key focus on risk, quality and compliance, the Manager Water and Wastewater will develop, implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work practices. This is a key leadership role. The Burdekin Shire Council is an organisation that values its people, its community and provides high quality services to the local region.
- Ensure that Council complies with its statutory obligation to the Department of Environment and Science Queensland and the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy Queensland in providing water and wastewater services.
- Accountable for the safe, reliable and efficient delivery of the water and wastewater services provided by Council through the coordination of all water and wastewater construction, operational and maintenance activities.
- Drive strategic continuous improvement of Council's Water and Wastewater Operations.
- Operational oversight of council resources in the delivery of council's water and wastewater capital and maintenance programmes.
- Stakeholder engagement, building strong and collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders, business industry bodies and regulators.
- Investigate and plan the optimisation of potable water distribution systems and proactively manage performance trends.
- Lead the establishment of council's water and wastewater 10-year plan.
- Review and maintain operating procedures for mains break repairs, flushing, mains swabbing, air scouring, disinfection control and maintenance of chlorine residuals for the department ensuring water safety as a priority.
Personal Attributes and Qualifications Required:
- Suitable tertiary qualfiications will be well regarded, but substantial experience and Certificate IV Water Operations are required as minimum credentials.
- Demonstrated leadership, organisational and people management skills, cultural awareness and the ability to prioritise key objectives effectively.
- Management experience in a similar role
- Team player who will work with and where required mentor / share knowledge with peers.
- Considerable experience in budget formation, control and cost forecasting.
- Experience in project management.
The successful candidate will require high level operational leadership and people management capabilities, in addition to having strong technical and strategic abilities in the water and wastewater sector. Council is offering a competitive remuneration package, including a vehicle and up to 12% superannuation (Conditions apply). You will be supported in your career growth and training while working for an organisation, that values its people.
The Burdekin Shire is the sugar capital of Australia and one of the most prosperous rural communities in the country. It's a well-known fishing mecca, with access to barramundi, mud crabs and off-coast reef fishing. The Burdekin is also the closest point to the world-famous SS Yongala wreck, ranked as one of the top 10 dive sites in the world.
How to apply
Please download the Candidate Information Pack for this role.
Applications will close on Thursday 15 October 2020 - 5.00pm.