Senior Design Engineer | Cook Shire Council | Cooktown, Far North Qld
Lead civil design and design concepts for roads, drainage, water and wastewater infrastructure projects in the Cook region.
The Senior Design Engineer will lead detailed design and provide technical advice for civil engineering projects within agreed timeframes and service level frameworks for Cook Shire Council.
The Senior Design Engineer is a new role within the Infrastructure division of Cook Shire Council which is an 'Employer of Choice', having been independently assessed as performing in the top 10% when benchmarked against 65 other Councils.
Download the Candidate Information Pack for this role. Click Apply Now to submit your application.
- Develop project scopes, detailed design concepts and efficient cost estimates for civil engineering related services
- Undertake quality control and quality assurance activities
- Prepare detailed documentation for tender and construction
- Manage design and other pre-construction activities at the project and program level
- Provide and deliver design in accordance with the FNQROC Development Manual, Transport and Main Roads Manuals and Specifications, and Australian Standards.
- Drafting and modelling using AutoCAD and 12D software
- Provide expert advice in the provision of design services and work collaboratively with others to deliver quality outcomes
- Ensure projects are delivered within agreed budgets, timeframes and service level frameworks
- Proactively contribute to the development and implementation of new techniques, practices and methodologies through technology and innovation opportunities.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills Required:
- Tertiary Civil Engineering Qualifications relevant to the position
- Demonstrated experience in urban and rural designs of stormwater drainage design, road design, water and wastewater infrastructure design, cost estimates and specifications.
- Proficiency in the use of both 12D Model and AutoCAD
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the application of the relevant design standards (e.g. Austroads, IPWEAQ, DTMR, QUDM, FNQROC)
- Experience in delivering design projects through all project phases, from Initiation (strategic/concept phase) to completion of the design.
Council is offering an attractive remuneration package, that includes 12% superannuation, generous relocation expenses, professional development and vehicle (conditions apply).
Working and living in the Region
Cook Shire is the largest land area Shire in Queensland covering 106,000km2 and encompassing some 80% of the Cape York Peninsula region of Far North Queensland. Employment with Council offers stability and security, combined with a balanced, tropical lifestyle that comes with living in the region. The Cook Shire Council employs 140 staff and has an annual budget of $32.1m.
The Cook Shire Council is a progressive and forward-thinking organisation with a rich blend of culture and community connections and collaboration. Council brings tremendous positive opportunities and provides for a bright, healthy and sustainable future for the Shire, its residents and the communities.
Cook Shire enjoys a mild tropical climate with the wet season typically running from January to March, which is also the hottest part of the year. April to December brings a drier period and cooler weather, with temperatures averaging 27 degrees.
Considering a sea change or relocating to Cook Shire for employment? You will find that it is a growing region and the perfect place to be now and into the future. It is the largest land area shire in Queensland, and features a pristine coastline, culturally diverse community, friendly locals and huge potential for growth. Become a part of a flourishing and innovative Council and help drive and shape the future development of Cook Shire.
How to Apply
Apply with a covering letter addressing the Position section of the information pack.
Applications close: 5.00pm Monday 6th April 2020.