General Manager Planning and Environment | Cairns Regional Council | Cairns
- Shape sustainable growth and development in the Cairns region
- Lead environmental planning and policy
- Contribute to a high performing executive leadership team
Cairns Regional Council is seeking a General Manager Planning and Environment to shape and influence sustainable growth in the Cairns region.
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the new General Manager will contribute to the strategy and leadership of the organisation as a member of the executive leadership team. The General Manager Planning and Environment will lead services and programs across a broad portfolio including growth management, strategic planning, sustainability, development assessment, regulatory services and compliance activities. Leading a team of approximately 110 staff the General Manager will drive effective advocacy to support sustainable growth of the region.
- Develop a sustainable growth management strategy to inform the development of a new planning scheme.
- Influence, negotiate and balance the needs of commercial, community and government stakeholders through active engagement.
- Lead a broad suite of programs and services while promoting best practice and continuous organisational improvement.
- Encourage innovation, develop succession plans to foster professional development and provide continual learning opportunities for staff.
Qualifications and Skills
- Extensive management experience within large, complex organisations.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of the Queensland legislative framework, including the Planning Act, Environment Protection Act, Public Health Act and other relevant legislation.
- Experience in controlling major budgets and managing a large and diverse team.
- Project management experience including working with stakeholders from all levels of government and the private sector.
As a Reef Guardian Council, Cairns Regional Council is committed to driving improvements in wastewater quality, sustainable land use planning, waste management, recycling and energy performance. Cairns is one of Australia's most vibrant multicultural cities, with around 160,000 people from more than 47 nations choosing to call this iconic city home.
How to Apply
Please download the Executive Information Pack to view the Position Description and Selection Criteria before submitting your application.
Applications close 5pm Monday 18 October 2021.