Cook Shire Council is seeking a Director Operations to provide strategic leadership to the Operations Department, including Infrastructure, Water and Wastewater and Capital Projects, National Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements works, Fleet and Disaster Management. The role forms part of the Executive Management Team and reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
An innovative, capable and strategic leader, you will be an excellent communicator and a proactive and responsive manager. The vastness of the Cape means you must manage resources and works across an enormous scale.
To be successful in this role you will possess the academic and practical knowledge of current and emerging best practice in local government, and sound financial management skills.. Council's priorities are service delivery, innovation and sound governance and you will be a key advocate for partnering with the community, building trust, engagement and relationships with Cape York communities and strengthening Council's position as the regional leader. Your broad engineering knowledge and project management experience will mean you can support and educate staff to address a wide range of operational challenges, and provide sound leadership across technical areas as required.
Primary objectives of the position:
- To provide strategic, technical, operational and financial leadership to the Operations Department;
- Guide the creation and delivery of an integrated and sustainable infrastructure programme; and
- To proactively contribute to leadership of the organisation as a member of the Executive Management Team.
Duties and key responsibilities
- Lead the preparation and delivery of the statutory and operational plans and budget for the Operations Department.
- Lead the Department in the delivery of organisational strategies and plans.
- Contribute to the development of annual, five year and ten year budget forecasts.
- Lead the development and ongoing assessment of Council's asset management plan
- Provide the Chief Executive Officer and Council with timely and accurate advice relating to the activities of the Operations Department and performance against strategic plans and budget.
- Contribute to the development, maintenance and implementation of Council's disaster management plans. Actively participate as a member of the Local Disaster Management Team..
- Work co-operatively with other staff to ensure Council provides effective and efficient services through multidisciplinary teams.
- Assist Elected Members to fulfil their roles by providing timely and factual information as required
- Promote the reputation of Council in all dealings with the general public, government agencies, other Councils and the media.
- Actively participate in local government forums (e.g. FNQROC).
- Actively promote and encourage staff development and business improvement.
- Provide excellent internal and external customer service, actively working to resolve customer problems.
Qualifications and experience
- Significant experience in a similar role in local government.
- A Bachelor's degree in engineering.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer Queensland (RPEQ) or ability to attain registration.
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role that included a focus on the development of a strong team culture.
About the Council
Cook Shire is the largest land area Shire in Queensland covering 106,000km2 and encompassing some 80% of the Cape York Peninsula region of Far North Queensland. The Shire shares boundaries with a number of Aboriginal Shire Councils as well as Mareeba, Douglas and Carpentaria Shires. The natural environments across the Shire are as diverse as they are spectacular, including rainforest, savannah country, agricultural and pastoral land, tropical islands and a number of towns. Employment with the Council offers stability and security, combined with a balanced, tropical lifestyle that comes with living in the region.
Council is offering an excellent salary, private use of a motor vehicle, generous leave and professional development allowances and 12% super.
You must be an Australian Citizen or hold the appropriate visa to work in Australia to apply for this role. Leading Roles will undertake checks to confirm your right to work in Australia at offer stage.
Click below to download the Candidate Information Pack for this role. Click Apply Now to submit your application. For a confidential discussion please contact Belinda Walker on 0411 449 447.
The application period for this role ends on Tuesday 2 October 2018 at 5pm.