The Cost Analyst is a newly created role that will add significant analytical capacity to Gladstone Regional Council's finance and operations teams. The key to this position is to increase capacity and capability in cost drivers, through significant accounting analysis with respect to Council's costs, budget analysis and variations.
The incumbent will work collaboratively across the business to increase the understanding of costs and associated drivers to aid improved decision making throughout the organisation. You will further incorporate these drivers into the long term financial planning and annual budgets with a view to improved value to Gladstone Regional Council rate payers and the community.
- Ability to analyse complex data and compile into a workable format
- Problem solving / technical skills
- Form relationships with internal stake holders to enable gathering of relevant data
- Prepare monthly cost and variance analysis reports
- Manipulation of existing data into workable formats for future planning
Challenges and Opportunities:
- Add value to the business by managing and minimising costs with the ability to increase services
- Assist in providing the community with the best possible services that are economically sound
- Uncover opportunities for potential investment
- Reviewing ERP process and systems and identifying improvement strategies
- Project feasibility analysis of new projects
- Developing systems that will provide information with a positive work flow
- Refining new business processes
- Enabling and bedding down of new culture / structure /direction with regards to data analytics
Required experience and required qualifications:
- Tertiary qualifications in Accounting (or related discipline)
- Local Government Diploma or equivalent - desirable
- Post Graduate business qualifications - highly regarded (MBA etc.)
- CPA desirable or significant experience
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining and developing costing and forecasting systems for a complex organisation
- Advanced Excel capability
- Other specific analytical software packages
The Gladstone Region is a dynamic Central Queensland coastal region that provides an enviable lifestyle and economic stability for more than 63,000 residents. The Council delivers essential services to the community and promotes sustainable growth of the region, with a strong focus on creating a safe, inclusive and efficient workforce and providing opportunity for personal growth and career development for its 650-plus employees.
We are looking for enthusiastic, forward-thinking achievers whose talents and expertise will help direct Council and the Region's community into a new and exciting future.
Council offers its employees great incentives including, salary packaging options, learning and development programs and health and wellbeing services.
You must be an Australian Citizen or hold the appropriate visa to work in Australia to apply for this role. You will be required to complete a Criminal History Check if you are successful with your application.
To download the Candidate Information Pack click on the link below or for a confidential discussion please contact Rob Maxwell on 0407 164 600.
Applications will close at 5pm on Monday 22nd October 2018.